Organic Traffic is fundamental to the popularity and growth of any website. Sure, Ads are a shortcut method for reaching a large number of audiences in a short span of time, but it is critical that your website appears on search engines since it is the most powerful way to expose what you have to offer to potential customers or viewers. Ads are highly useful but spending large amounts of money on regular Ads won’t take you far. SEO is a dynamic, steadily evolving process and in order to maintain a good ranking, your web content needs to align itself with this ever-changing process. Most search engines have unique ways of ascertaining website ranks. Most of all, a website must have the right type and amount of content and suitable optimization in order to qualify for top ranks. The following steps are powerful ways to increase your web ranking and obtain more organic traffic without the use of Ads:
- Determine your current standing on Search Engines:
Knowing your present rank on Google results is a head start for improving it. You can find your current search rank through the use of a number of online tools as mentioned below:
- com: Serps.com lets you know if your target keyword has been addressed effectively. You will be prompted to enter your keyword followed by your website address and serps.com will display a positioning history based on the rank your website holds for the keyword.
- com: A slow site drop ranks faster than the speed of light and new sites which are terribly slow can never hope to move up on the search rank ladder. On Pingdom, you can enter your web address and you will be shown a performance grade and load time to evaluate your site performance.
- Pixelgroove’s Google Penalty Checker: Sometimes, your site may get de-indexed or banned by Google leading to a sudden drop in organic traffic. In the Penalty Checker, enter your site URL and click on ‘check’. You will get a message indicating how your website is currently facing.
- Responsive all-adaptive website design:
A responsive website is one that adapts seamlessly on every device thus eliminating the need to create multiple sites for each device. Smartphones are used more than laptops when it comes to browsing the Internet and it is only right that you make sure that your website looks and feels good on a smartphone just the way it does on a desktop computer. Search Engines reserve top ranks for responsive websites. If you are still not sure that your website works well on all devices, use ‘responsive design checker’ to see visual elements from your website on different screen sizes. A wide range of screen sizes and devices are displayed that you can choose from. Based on the results, you can modify your site to fit on all screens without compromising on user experience. Even though a responsive site must be planned in the very early stages of development, you can make necessary changes in order to get the very best place on Search results.
- Choose multiple link building:
If you want to rank high on search engines, you can’t rely solely on one method for link building. While building links, diversify as much as you can and remember to not stray from link relevance. You can get blog roll links, homepage links, blog post links, directory links, educational links, footer links, directory links etc. Link building can have a great impact on your website as well as on search engine ranking. Avoid having too many links from a single source and refrain from using black hat link building. Incorporate varied anchor texts in your links. Having a large number of varied links is a powerful SEO technique. Increase the power of your links by including brand mentions. Another way to diversify link building is to integrate new link campaigns in your newsletter in order to gain more backlinks. Make the most of newsletters by asking for more backlinks from your readers or followers.
- Eliminate common SEO mistakes:
There are four major mistakes committed by most web designers and developers:
- Using the wrong Keywords: Keywords are the most important aspect of good SEO. It is vital that you choose precise keywords and not just brush over them. Narrow down as much as you can on your keywords and keep them short, crisp and to-the-point.
- Meta Tags must be unique: Meta tags must be unique to each page. If more than one page has the same Meta tag, it is considered as duplicate content by search engines which will significantly lower your search ranking. Two pages with the same Meta tags will cancel each other out in their pursuit of gaining the same position.
- Your website must have an HTML alternative and must not be made entirely out of Flash: Search Engines find it exceptionally hard to crawl Flash sites. They cannot index Flash site content and your keywords will be lost in the process. So, if you have designed an attractive Flash site, create an HTML alternative and offer it to your visitors to choose from.
- Keep people at the centre of your attention:
Your search strategy must give viewers equal importance as it does to keywords. Understand user behaviour like geography, demographics, psychology, behaviour, social context, global time, purchase patterns since they play a major role in improving search ranks. Don’t neglect traditional communication methods and advertise wisely. Outsourcing search engine optimization is also an efficient method to climb higher on the search scale. Increase brand awareness among visitors to boost sales. The easiest and simplest way to generate people-centric interaction for your website is to submit articles, create business profiles, post videos and share content on different online portfolios.